Boca Grande Park & Community Center
The Boca Grande Community Center is a Lee County facility operated for the benefit of Boca Grande residents and visitors. It was designed in 1929 and built by the citizens of Boca Grande as the island school. For 35 years the classrooms were filled with students. With declining enrollment, the school was closed in 1963 and the children were transported to schools in Charlotte County. In the early ‘70s, local citizens organized to convert the school into a center for educational and cultural programs. In March of 1975, through the cooperative efforts of the Boca Grande Woman’s Club, Gasparilla Island Conservation & Improvement Association and Lee County, the Boca Grande Community Center was officially dedicated. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Boca Grande Community Center now offers a fully equipped fitness center located in the Multi-Purpose wing, free of of charge.